Cara Thornton represents individual and corporate clients in complex commercial litigation cases involving real estate disputes, intellectual property and trademark disputes, business disputes and business torts, and an array of other contract-related disputes. She has tried bench and jury trials throughout Colorado, and has appellate experience with both the Colorado Court of Appeals and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. Cara also advises corporate clients with respect to trademark issues, contract and employment related matters, formation and dissolution, and risk management, including litigation.
Prior to joining Fortis Law Partners, Cara spent two years as an Assistant Attorney General of Yap State, Federated State of Micronesia where she advised the Governor on legislative and policy issues and handled the State civil litigation. Both before and after working in Yap, Cara practiced with a boutique litigation firm in downtown Denver for more than a decade.
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property and Trademark Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Marijuana Law
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Employment and Labor Law
- Corporate Advisement
- Colorado (2002)
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado (2003)
- Federated State of Micronesia (2007)
- Juris Doctorate, University of Tennessee College of Law (2002)
- Bachelor of Arts, Hollins University (1999)
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Community Activities & Personal Interests
Outside of the office, Cara enjoys traveling, exploring nature, cooking and spending time her husband and two children.
Representative Cases and Transactions
- Obtained permanent injunction and favorable economic settlement on behalf of international corporation in prosecution of trademark infringement, including the sale of counterfeit goods, under the Lanham Act.
- Successful defense on motions of CEO of publicly traded medical manufacturer of medical imaging equipment against federal securities class action lawsuit by shareholders.
- Successful defense on motions of high ranking government officials against allegations of fraud in the awarding of government contracts.
- Analyzed and advised with respect to restructuring of more than twenty closely held real estate holding companies for succession planning.
- Drafted and implemented the first wage reform legislation in more than thirty years, as well as legislation establishing Yap State’s first marine conservation park.