Fay Chu Fong
Fay Chu Fong concentrates her practice in business and commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, securities, technology and general corporate matters. She has represented a wide range of clients from Fortune 100 companies to startup companies. Her practice is varied and includes negotiating, drafting and reviewing documents for specific transactions to designing and helping clients implement and ensure compliance with programs, policies and procedures to counseling on general business matters.
Prior to joining Fortis, Fay worked as a partner with Dill Dill Carr Stonbraker & Hutchings and Baker & Hostetler. She has invaluable practical business knowledge working directly as an in-house attorney and indirectly as outside general counsel for various companies including Cardinal Health, Eaton Aviation, IHS, and Access Distribution (formerly GE Access). Prior to law school Fay worked on Wall Street in the compliance arena for the securities industry.
- Entity formations
- Domestic and international public and private mergers and acquisitions
- Partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Management buyouts and debt and equity financings (including angel investments, venture capital, private equity and public offerings)
- Technology transfer and licensing
- Corporate governance matters, including director and officer liability protection
- Securities and stock exchange compliance
- Commercial transactions
- Juris doctor, University of Colorado School of Law, 1994
- Bachelor of arts in economics, with distinction, University of Rochester, 1986
- Colorado Bar Association - Business Law Section
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Colorado
Community Activities & Personal Interests
Fay is active in both professional and non-profit organizations, which benefit her community. From 1998 to 1999 she served as the president of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Colorado. Today Fay serves as the secretary of the Colorado Asian Pacific American Bar Foundation. She regularly volunteers at Carson Elementary School in Denver and is actively involved in St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. Fay likes cooking and creating new recipes. Fay loves to spend time travelling and skiing with her husband, Scott, and their two children. She is also an avid reader and enjoys writing as well.
- Negotiate and structure domestic and international transactions such as acquisitions, investments, licensing arrangements, distribution and supply agreements
- Led several mergers, acquisitions and sales of businesses and assets
- Assist clients in structuring and negotiating complex business transactions
- Negotiate and advise clients on joint development projects
- Prepare and file periodic reports for securities law compliance
- Draft and negotiate domestic and international distribution agreements.
- Serve as outside general counsel to small businesses, including start-up companies
- Lead and train clients’ employees on various form agreements and negotiating positions and strategies
- Created and implemented compliance program for General Electric subsidiary
Speeches & Publications
- Presented at Fortis Law Partners 2017 Lunch & Learn Series – “Understanding Key Provisions in Commercial Contracts to Help You Improve Your ROI and Reduce Risk”
- Presenter on Choice of Entity topic at the Hanging Your Shingle CLE - 2016 & 2017
- Panelist for the University of Colorado School of Law CLE “Financial Crisis and its Aftermath” (2013)
- Co-authored Buy-Sell Agreements, "The Practitioners Guide to Colorado Business Organizations,” with Deborah Bayles (2004)