Kip Wallen enjoys working with clients to efficiently accomplish their goals and provide practical legal advice. He takes pride in working at a boutique business law firm that provides client-focused, “big firm” quality and expertise. Mentored by the best in the business, Kip has learned the important value a lawyer can add to a business and is invested in delivering attentive customer service and high quality work.
Kip specializes in corporate, securities, and merger and acquisition transactions. He has assisted diverse clients with entity formation and dissolution, equity offerings, securities filings, employment issues, corporate governance matters and financing and merger & acquisition transactions.
Currently an associate with Fortis, Kip has served the firm since May, 2010, beginning as an intern and law clerk. Kip’s background includes internships with the Denver office of Baker & Hostetler LLP and Leprino Foods Company. Prior to law school, he worked at State Farm Insurance and American National Insurance companies.
Kip enjoys spending time with friends and family, traveling, watching baseball, practicing yoga, running and skiing. He is a member of the Denver Art Museum and Denver Botanic Gardens and holds season tickets to the Colorado Symphony Orchestra.
- Entity formations
- Domestic public and private mergers and acquisitions
- Partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Management buyouts, debt and equity financings (including angel investments, venture capital, private equity and public offerings)
- Corporate governance matters
- Securities and stock exchange compliance
- Commercial transactions
- Real estate & development
- Juris Doctorate, University of Denver Sturm College of Law (2012)
- Served as staff editor of the Denver Journal of International Law and Policy
- Teacher’s assistant for Constitutional Law and Civil Procedure
- Awarded the Scholastic Achievement Award in the area of Trust and Estates
- Master of Science, Lehigh University, Economics(2007)
- Bachelor of Science, Lehigh University, Business and Economics, with Honors (2006)
- Bachelor of Arts, Lehigh University, International Relations, with Honors (2006)
- Student Senate President
- American Bar Association (Business Law, Young Lawyers and Mergers & Acquisitions Sections)
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Colorado GLBT Bar Association
- Volunteer, St. Andrew United Methodist Church Youth Ministry
- Board Member, Young Musicians Foundation of Colorado
- Bosey Reiter Leadership Cup
- Lehigh University’s most prestigious undergraduate leadership award
- Presidential Scholarship Award, ATHGO International (2006)
- Awarded at the World Bank Symposium “The Architects of the Future,” Washington, D.C.
- Represented a Spanish private equity firm with three $1+ million Preferred Stock investments in California tech start-ups.
- Represented healthcare technology and services company in the medical transcription and electronic medical records space in a $14 million management buyout and recapitalization
- Represented a family office/private equity fund in connection with the purchase of 11 and sale of 17 multi-family apartment complexes throughout the country with an aggregate value of $800 million and simultaneous obtaining or amending of $300 million in FHA multi-family primary and supplemental loans
- Represented a publicly held environmental technology products and services company in connection with its public and private offerings, international and domestic mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, stock exchange compliance, corporate governance and general corporate and commercial matters, including a $27 million confidentially marketed public offering, reorganization in Delaware, stock split, two restatements, SEC investigation, derivative lawsuits and debt financings
- Assisted public companies in connection with restatements of financial statements due to SEC comments and advice to the board and management as to appropriate public disclosures
- Represented founders of pet products leader, The Kyjen Company, in sale to The Riverside Company
- Represent hotel developers and operators in connection with real estate acquisitions and hotel construction including title work, land purchase and construction and final financing
- Represented investor and operator in connection with the acquisition and securitized financing of several manufactured housing parks
Speeches & Publications
- Presented at Fortis Law Partners 2017 Lunch & Learn Series – “How Do I Maximize My Company’s Value for a Future Exit Event?”