Successful Client Results
Congratulations to Christine Lamb on winning a motion for summary judgment on behalf of one of our employer clients. Chris convinced a U.S. District Court to dismiss all claims brought by a former employee alleging FMLA discrimination and retaliation due to his discharge shortly after he returned from FMLA leave. The Court held that the employee was returned to the same job position that he held prior to his FMLA leave and discharged because of his major violation of company policies, and not because of his FMLA leave. This case related to a common and difficult question often faced by employers regarding when an employee can be disciplined while on leave.
Steve DeHoff and Beth Robinson won a Motion to Compel Arbitration on behalf of a client in the Colorado Federal District Court. This win will allow the client to resolve the employment claims in the confidential forum of binding arbitration, making efforts for resolution easier for the client.
Christine Lamb and Beth Robinson obtained a dismissal of various employment related claims against a client in the Arizona District Court. This dismissal was based on a pro-se Plaintiff’s inability to comply with the local rules, and resolved the claims against the client favorably.Christine Lamb and Beth Robinson also obtained a dismissal of an administrative proceeding before the Utah Labor Commission. The client had won before the administrative agency, and the former employee was appealing the ruling to the Labor Commission. The dismissal fully resolved the action in favor of the client.
To stay up to date on the latest employment and litigation news, we invite you to subscribe to Beth Robinson’s weekly blog. Click here for her most recent article and to subscribe.
Corporate and Real Estate Transactions
2017 kicked off with many new projects for existing and new clients, reflecting a great optimism for business. Projects included:
- Structuring, negotiating and closing the successful sale by Bradford Publishing of its Colorado automobile forms business.
- Assisting several clients with preparing for sales of their businesses or debt and equity financings including review of legal documents and preparation of company-specific reports to facilitate due diligence and help drive top valuations and negotiations of confidentiality agreements and letters of intent.
- Creating client-specific website agreements, master services agreements, software as a service (SaaS) agreements and addressing best practices around privacy policies and data security.
- Assisting our healthcare industry clients with their business associate agreements, HIPAA and HITECH requirements, and other industry-specific issues.
- Assisting our brick and mortar clients with various commercial documents including sales and leases of real estate, recapitalizations, sales agreements and construction/remodeling agreement.
- Preparing SEC filings.
Did you know we have an immigration attorney here at Fortis Law Partners? Teresa Casillas specializes in domestic and international corporate, natural resources and immigration law. With many years of experience under her belt and fluency in Spanish, Teresa is equipped to help you with your immigration needs or questions.
Honoring Frank Schuchat
It is with great sadness that we announce our friend Frank J Schuchat, a founding partner of Schuchat, Herzog & Brenman, now Fortis Law Partners, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly in late February. Frank was, simply put, a wonderful human being to all who had the pleasure of knowing him. Life without him leaves us with a gaping hole, and it will never be the same without him. If you would like to make a donation in Frank’s memory, the family suggests Southern Poverty Law Center and the Denver Rescue Mission.