Robert LaManna concentrates his practice on business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, buyouts, private equity and venture capital investing. He has advised on transactions ranging in size from several hundred thousand dollars to more than $3 billion.
Robert received his J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School. During his law school career, Robert served as the student editor of the American Bar Association’s Journal for Science and Technology. He also participated in the New Venture Challenge at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business by providing legal services to start up contestants. Prior to attending law school, Robert worked for the William J. Clinton Foundation in Bangkok, Thailand.
After graduating law school, Robert worked at Gibson Dunn & Crutcher’s Palo Alto and San Francisco offices, where he was a member of both their corporate and tax practice groups. He advised on several multi-billion transactions in the technology, healthcare and energy industries. He was awarded the firm’s pro bono award in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Venture Capital, Private Equity & other financing transactions
Buyouts & Cross-purchase transactions
Corporate, Partnership & LLC taxation
· University of Chicago Law School, J.D. (2013)
· Pomona College, B.S. Physics; Economics (2009)
· Cambridge University, Jesus College, Faculty of Law (2008)
American Bar Association
American Bar Association – Section of Taxation
Colorado Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association – Young Lawyers Division
Boulder Bar Association
Community Activities & Personal Interests
Robert is an avid soccer player. He has played at a variety of levels, and now enjoys playing recreationally with friends and colleagues in Boulder and Denver. Robert is also an avid fly fisherman, and enjoys tying his own flies and exploring Colorado’s backcountry lakes and streams on weekends. When he’s not working, playing soccer or fly fishing, you can usually find Robert reading in a park or visiting one of Denver’s museums.
Representative Transactions or Cases
· Represented angel investor in establishing revolving $2M credit facility to fund ongoing operations of several Colorado-based medical marijuana businesses.
· Represented business owners in approximately $1M internal buyout structured using tenancy-in-common (TIC) interests.
· Represented Colorado-based technology company in $35M sale of subsidiary to strategic, public company buyer.
· Represented Colorado-based beverage company in new venture and associated equity incentive plan.
· Represented business owners of industrial agricultural equipment company in approximately $1M leveraged internal buy-out.
· Represented Colorado-based digital marketing company in approximately $2M asset sale to multi-national conglomerate.
· Represented angel investor in $500K acquisition of Series A Preferred Units in watch and fashion company.
· Represented Buyer venture capital fund in acquisition of $7.5M Series A Preferred Units in Target multinational high-end bicycle manufacturer and retailer.
· Part of team that represented public technology company split-off into two new publicly traded entities with separate lines of business.
· Part of team that represented public health-care company in $3.4B acquisition of private medical device producer.
· Part of team that represented public technology company in $2.7B acquisition of distributed network and security systems company.
· Part of team that represented real estate private equity firm in connection with approximately $100M restructuring investments into tenancy-in-common interests.