Steve DeHoff became a member and manager of Fortis Law Partners upon its merger with Friesen Lamb LLP. Steve provides comprehensive business-oriented advice and counsel for a range of the firm’s clients. With his extensive training and experience in commercial litigation, Steve is able to leverage his experience and perspective to provide guidance and business counseling to help his clients grow and proactively avoid unnecessary liabilities. In this capacity, Steve provides general legal services including the proper organization and structure of businesses, corporate governance and compliance, advice, drafting, review and negotiation of various contracts, drafting of company handbooks and policies, and addressing internal compliance issues.
As a litigator, Steve has represented a broad range of clients, from multi-national Fortune 500 companies to small, closely held corporations in a variety of business disputes. He has successfully represented clients in matters involving real estate and title insurance claims, business torts, contract matters, bankruptcy litigation, securities fraud, UCC Article 9 claims, mortgage fraud recovery, trade secret and unfair competition, and antitrust claims. In employment matters, Steve focuses on counseling employers regarding personnel issues, policies and compliance, with a goal of growing and operating in a low risk, compliant environment. Steve has represented employers in state and federal wage and hour cases, and claims for breach of employment agreements.
- Commercial Litigation
- Labor & Employment Law
- New York
- Juris Doctor, Hastings College of the Law, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1998
- American Bar Association - Labor & Employment Law Section
- Colorado Bar Association - Business Law Section and Labor & Employment Law Section
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association – General Litigation Section and Employment Law Section
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the Colorado Super Lawyers 2017 & 2018 lists
- Colorado Super Lawyers - Rising Stars 2014, 2015 & 2016
Community Activities & Personal Interests
Steve is an active committee member at the Colorado Bar Association and also serves as an outside Board member of two start-up businesses in Colorado. In his free time, Steve enjoys spending time with his family in the Colorado outdoors, hiking and trying to learn the art of fly fishing.
- Represent public environmental services company in SEC investigation, financial restatements, derivative lawsuit and class action litigation.
- Represented public utility company in a dispute concerning easement access rights, obtaining injunctive relief allowing utility to initiate system expansion construction project.
- Represented corporate executive in arbitration of "earn-out" dispute involving acquisition of information technology reseller business.
- Represented national bank as plaintiff in action for recovery on title insurance policy, obtaining multi-million dollar verdict after five day trial.
- Defended national moving and storage company in class arbitration of sexual harassment claims.
- Represented national business process outsourcing company in race and sex discrimination claim.
- Defended technology executive against non-compete and trade secret misappropriation claims.
- Defended national retailer against wrongful discharge and bad faith claims arising from workers' compensation dispute.
- Defended a restaurant based in Boulder, Colorado in class action FLSA wage case involving allegations of minimum wage and tip pooling violations.
- Defended national home improvement retailer against claims alleging immigration-related discrimination brought under the Immigration Control and Reform Act (ICRA).
- Successfully prosecuted mortgage fraud recovery action on behalf of government receiver of failed banking corporation.
- Represented technology sales representative in dispute concerning commission calculations and termination benefits.
- Counseled a Denver-based religious corporation in immigration employment matters and handling of governmental audit.
- Represented Native American tobacco manufacturing company in antitrust litigation involving national tobacco Master Settlement Agreement.
- Assisted national property management company in dispute with construction contractor involving wrongfully withheld project initiation fees.
- Counseled private equity investment company in connection with downsizing of oil and gas portfolio company, successfully resolving employee claim and statutory compliance issues.
- Defended national thrift store chain in premises liability action.
- Represented venture capital equity investor in claims arising under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN Act) after closure of national marine engine manufacturing company.
- Counseled international investment insurer in connection with SEC reporting and disclosure requirements of Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
Recent Speeches & Publications
- Colorado Employers May Have a “Zero Tolerance” Marijuana Policy (2014)
- Published article for FLSA Classification Issues called “Exempt or Non-Exempt, and What to Do if You're Wrong?” (2009)
- The Wage and Hour Tsunami: How To Survive the Wave of New Litigation Being Brought by Plaintiffs' Attorneys (2008)